What Are The Sound Proofing Glass Windows and Their Advantages?
Sound proofing of glass windows is done to block out outside noises. It is especially for places which are situated near airports, busy markets, near highways and busy roads in addition to other such places. Sound proofing is considered to be one of the most important criteria when you install windows for your home or office. You require soundproofing windows when you decide about the perfect office fitout, or else, when you want to build a classroom or an auditorium. Sound proofing is necessary to keep your concentration intact. Soundproof window glasses in offices help to enhance the employee productivity.
How to make Window Glasses Sound-Proof?
There are different ways to make the windows soundproof. The first is a double or triple pane glass acoustical window is added. This normally decreases the noise by 30% to 70%. The other alternative to this is by adding another interior window. This shuts of the sound by 90%.
• Or one can make a removable soundproof plug. This fills the fame and prevents sound from coming through by 90%. This also blocks light and so it is ideal for bedrooms as the light will not disturb the person.
• However, if light is needed in the day, then as the plug is removable; it can be removed, and so light can enter.
• In order to make the plug, the measurement of the window frame is needed to be done and that shows the depth of the sill. This determines how thick of a soundproofing mat can be used. If the depth of the frame is 4” then a 2” mat is recommended. The dead air space works in your benefit. The reason is that the foam should not press against the window.
How to buy the boards and mats for constructing Sound Proofing Glass Windows?
These soundproof mats come in rolls which are 4 feet wide and they are sold by the foot. If the window has dimensions of more than 4 feet, then the mat will need to be pieced together.
• Normally a thickness of 2” suffices as this mat is quite stiff. But if the windows are more than 4 feet by 4 feet it is suggested that a backing board is used.
• This is made of either fiber or wood which is glued to the mat. Fibrous boards offer better soundproofing effects as also MDF though, MDF is heavier. One should not use plywood or particle board for this. In order to cement the mat onto the blocking board, contact cement should be used.
• It is recommended that a few holes are cut in the back so that the fingers can fit into it when the plug is to be handled. The backing board should be enough so that it goes over as well as covers the inside frame and it is molded over to the edges as well.
If the person does not want to go through all this trouble, there is another easier method to soundproof the windows. This is done with the help of soundproof curtains. These soundproof curtains have material which is inside the curtain or as part of the lining of the curtain which has sound proofing qualities. These are like mass-loaded-vinyl or MLV. However, words of caution – these curtains are heavy and require special hardware to mount them. Heavy curtains do also absorb sound to an extent though not as much as soundproofing curtains.
It is important to call the professionals to get the sound proofing glass windows, because it cannot be done only with roller shutters or with curtains for soundproofing.