Is Your Home As Safe As It Could Be?
We all like to feel safe and happy in our homes. However, many of us live in houses that are full of dangers, without even knowing it. This may sound like paranoia to you, but don’t judge it until you read this post! You may get a nasty shock at what you discover. Here are some of the dangers that exist in countless American homes.
First of all, poor roofing work. While regulations are pretty tight these days, poor-quality or negligent roofers still exist. If there’s a chance that your roofing was poorly done, it’s not something you want to leave to chance. Leaks and crumbling sealant can cause water to pool up in your attic, making the ceilings in your home unsound. If you see any bulging in your ceilings, or you’ve noticed that you need to turn the heat up more, then have it checked. Find a more reputable tradesman through a site with impartial roofing reviews.
The next danger to think about is carbon monoxide. This is an invisible and odourless gas, which is extremely toxic to anyone who breathes it. Approximately 500 people die every year from domestic carbon monoxide poisoning, though the figure used to be a lot higher. If you have any fireplaces, gas-powered water heaters, or things that run on kerosene, then you need to be particularly wary of this danger. Luckily you can protect you and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning with a properly installed alarm.
Lead is another toxic substance, which can pose an invisible threat to you and everyone living in your home. When people are exposed to this metal, it can lead to nerve disorders, and can stump the mental development of children. These days, building and consumer standards try to prevent anyone coming into contact with lead. However, in certain older homes, there’s a fair chance you may have some lead around. If you’re concerned, have a professional check for lead-based paint, lead pipes, and contaminated soil.
Finally, harmful pesticides. This is an especially important point if you have a young child living in your home. Mice, cockroaches and all the rest are extremely annoying. However, some of the products we use to get rid of them can mean a serious health risk in your house. Toxic pesticides can easily get into the air, and be breathed in by you and your family. Most of it will settle on the floor, where you may have babies crawling around. Prolonged exposure to pesticides can increase the chances of cancer and neurological conditions. I recommend only using pesticides in the case of a serious infestation. Aside from that, there are a few less harmful alternatives you can use. To reduce the risk of getting pests in the first place, go around your home sealing any crevices and holes.
No one likes feeling scared of their own home, but these hazards are important to consider. You don’t need to replace the wallpaper with bubble wrap, but being vigilant can really pay off.