Home Maintenance Checklist
Being the owner of your own home is definitely a matter of great pride. Along with the sense of pride, additional responsibilities also come up of maintaining your home in a proper manner. Without proper care and maintenance, the house of your dreams will start developing different kinds of undesirable problems.
The best way to keep your home completely maintained is to follow a checklist. Having a handy checklist will let you manage things more efficiently. More importantly it will help you in not missing out on any maintenance item from the list.
Taking care of home exteriors
• Check for the cracks in sidewalks, paths and driveways
• Check for the sagging ceilings, damaged steps, porches and decks to see that they are firm and strong
• Provide additional support to stone-walls and fences so that they are not affected by snow or storm
• Check the exterior siding of the house for stains, paint peeled off and similar problem
• Check the roofing of the house for cracks, splits, broken tiles/shingles, moss deposition etc
• Check the chimney caps and see that there is no damaged part.
Doors, windows maintenance
• Doors and windows should be checked at regular intervals almost every month.
• Check if the window or door is broken at any place. Repair the broken part immediately to prevent the further damage.
• Check if the door or the window operates smoothly. In case creaking sound is heard, check the hinges. If the doors and windows are sliding, check the channels for any damage.
• Check the stripping and sealing of the doors and windows particularly during the spring and the fall season.
• Check the frames and the glasses in the windows and doors. Replace broken glasses and repair the broken frames before the damage increases.
• Check out drain holes, sink stoppers or tub stoppers for debris. Remove them if you find any.
• Check out the plumbing in the toilet and in the kitchen at least twice yearly so that there are no problems in the pipeline. Sometimes the plumbing lines might need small repairs for leakages and splits.
• Check the tub drain assembly every three months for cleaning the debris and for inspecting the rubber seal.
• Ensure checking the HVAC system on yearly basis so that the electrical and plumbing lines work fine without any problems.
Check safety equipments that are installed in homes
• Having a fire extinguisher in home is always good. Check whether the extinguisher can be accessed easily. Check whether the gauge is reflecting proper pressure. The extinguisher should have no signs of wear and tear. In case something of this is not right, replace the extinguisher or get it refilled and checked.
• Check auto-reverse feature in garage door. Test the sensors and see that they are working fine. If not, call a mechanic immediately and get the thing repaired.
• Carbon dioxide and smoke detectors should be checked quarterly for sure. If the alarm does not go on after hitting the ‘test’ button, make sure to change the batteries immediately.
Apart from the above mentioned things, there are many other aspects in a house that require constant maintenance and care. For the convenience of the people, many companies now provide maintenance contracts in which professionals from the company come to your home and inspect various aspects to ensure that everything is working well and in proper place on monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual basis – as per the requirement of the customer.
Phil is a Building maintenance and improvement Columnist and he loves to write blogs and creates infographics for the same. He is also a community manager for various maintenance and improvement Forums.